Our Church is part of the Methodist Church in Great Britain which was founded by a group of people in the 18th century called “Methodists” and particularly by John Wesley who had the gift of speaking “plain truth to plain people”. John took seriously the working people of his day. He addressed his preaching to them and his message drew great crowds both in the streets and on the hillsides.
Since that time the Methodist Church has always combined its focus on the individual response to God along with a compassionate concern for social justice.
You can find out much more about Methodism by visiting the Methodist Church website at www.methodist.org.uk and the following further reading:
- The Connexion is a new magazine designed to keep the Methodist people in touch with what is happening in the Church and is available online or by contacting Methodist Publishing, 25 Marylebone Road, London NW1 5JR. Tel 020 7486 5502
- The District magazine “grapevine” is available online and is produced twice a year. Paper copies can be obtained from the District Administrator.
- The Circuit Magazine “The Methodist” is available in September, December, March and June.
- The Circuit Directory is available annually in September.
- The Circuit Preaching Plan is available quarterly.